Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I Made Shorts!!

I do not really know how to sew, let alone how to sew clothing, but I want to! Somewhere, somehow I came across this tutorial by Dana at MADE and let me just tell you, she makes one heck of a tutorial! It was sew so (hehe!) easy to follow along with her tutorial I feel like I need to whip up a summer wardrobe for Riley right now! However, the events leading up to this excitement are quite story-worthy, so let's begin...

I went to Jo-Ann's Fabric yesterday and asked for 1/2 yard of seer sucker fabric for the pants I set out to make. I loved the pants on the MADE tutorial so much that I had to make some for Riley. When I asked for 1/2 a yard of the black seer sucker fabric something inside me screamed, "GET 1 YARD!" But did I listen? Of course not. So I toted home my 1/2 yard of fabric ready to make some pants.

When I got home and printed out the easy-peasy pants pattern and put the pattern onto the fabric I started to freak. The stripes were going the wrong way! They were horizontal! I should have gotten 1 yard! Why didn't I listen?! So I sulked around all night and vowed I was going to take the fabric back to Jo-Ann's and see if they would exchange it for a yard.

And then I woke up this morning (on a high from seeing my Felt Rosette Wreath featured in the 10 Gotta-Try Chic & Crafty Ideas on Frugal Girls) and thought, "Hey, I can make Riley some little shorts instead!" So, that's what I did. And I'm proud to say it was not a complete disaster; there is proof below. Although I will be making some pants next;)



Check out those shorts (and that face)!



Yes, that is Gru from Despicable Me on that sticker there;) And see the little black tag on the shorts there? It has a "skeleton," AKA: skull and crossbones, on it. The reason? Riley's favorite "skeleton" PJs got non-fixable holes in them and he was kind enough to let me use them for my Owls so another little boy can have some "skeletons" too. How sweet is that?! So I added that little tag on there so Riley can wear some "skeletons" again:)



Action shot! Riley is my little rock-thrower:)


So, all-in-all a great project. I'm ashamed to say I was a little worried there in the middle of making the shorts, but all's well that ends well!


Until next time, toodles!

1 comment:

  1. cute! thanks for sharing! Love the Seersucker :)
    - dana

    ReplyDelete