Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"Spring" Letter Blocks Tutorial

I got a bag of Letter Blocks from the dollar section of Target around Christmas time. I used 3 of them to make some cute little ornaments, but didn't know what to do with the rest of the bag. I have been seeing cute letter blocks everywhere that spell out different things, and I thought, "Hey! I can use these!" So, here's my take on it! :)


To make these you will need:
  • Letter blocks that spell out a word (my word is "Spring")
  • Acrylic craft paint (I used pink)
  • 2 foam brushes
  • Wax paper
  • Mod Podge
  • Scrapbook paper (I used 6 different designs)
  • Nail file, or sand paper
  • Scissors

First gather your paper and trace your  blocks onto the paper and cut out the squares. I used 6 different designs and cut out 5 squares of each design (I wanted to cover 5 out of the 6 sides of the block and I had 6 blocks.)



Then using your acrylic craft paint and foam brush, paint the letters.
*Tip: I did 2 coats of paint, especially on the dark colors like the blue and the green.*


Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the block.


And apply the paper.
*Tip: I only put paper on one side of the block at a time. Then I flipped it over so the side with the paper was on the bottom while I did one side of the other blocks to let the Mod Podge dry a little.*


Sand or file off the edges of the paper.

Do that for all of your blocks one side at a time. Don't put all the paper on then try to sand the sides off because it doesn't work! (Believe me, I tried it...)


Once the blocks are dry, you can display them! I did each block 1 design, but you can mix and match the paper, use a different color paint, etc. The possibilities are endless! And you don't have to worry about cutting out the letters if you don't have a Circuit (like me), or messing around with stencils.

This would even be a cute Mother's Day present! ;)

Thanks for stopping by!



Linking to the following:


No comments:

Post a Comment