Thursday, December 2, 2010

Felt Rosette Ball Ornament (25 Days of Christmas No. 4)


 Hello! And welcome to tutorial number 4. As you can see above, this tutorial is not a tree skirt as promised yesterday. I know, I know, I'm horrible. You see, Riley and I had plans today and did not make it to Jo-Ann's Fabric to get some needed supplies for the tree skirt. (Excuses, excuses). So I thought today I would do an ornament! This here is a felt rosette ball ornament. I love it because it cost me about $.17 to make it. I got a pack of 6 foam balls at my local Dollar Tree and already had all the other materials and supplies. So, read on to see the $.17 ornament of the day;)

You will need:


  • A 2" foam ball
  • 5 pieces of felt cut into 10 6" circles
  • A piece of ribbon
  • Pretty strait pins (optional)
  • Hot glue gun
  • Ruler
  • Piece of paper
  • Pen
  • Scissors
Draw a 6" circle on your piece of paper and cut it out (it doesn't have to be perfect!).


Trace 2 circles per sheet of felt and cut them out.


Cut the circle into a spiral about 1/2" thick.


Roll the spiral with the inside of the spiral as the back of the flower and the outside of the spiral the "petals," if that makes sense:)


The middle part of the spiral will act as a backing. Hot glue it to the flower by only putting the glue around the perimeter of the flower (that way you can stick your pin in with no problem.)


Position, glue, and pin your flower to the ball.

 

Add a few more flowers all together if you'd like. I did four before I decided the project was working and I would add the ribbon.



Using a pretty big needle, thread your ribbon and insert the needle through the ball.

Tip: You may need to use needle nose pliers to pull the needle through. It can be a little tough.


Tie the back of the ribbon.

Tip: When you glue and pin the flower to the bottom, pin the ribbon down. Also do that on the top.


Tie the top of the ribbon into a loop and add the rest of your flowers!


There ya go! You now how a super easy (and cheap!) holiday ornament. This would be a great present!:)



Now, I don't want to give anything away, but this gives me a super delicious wreath idea. So, now I owe you a wreath and a tree skirt. Maybe I can hammer those out this weekend;)

Until next time, toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment